Saturday 14 March 2015

Dj Luke Nwachukwu

Dj Luke Nwachukwu
Yemi Alade has been doing her thing since she went professional a couple of years ago. Currently the toast of the Nigerian afro pop music genre with Kissing You, Tangerine and Johnny, the sexy artiste took time out to speak with SAMUEL ABULUDE on her music, the lean years and the secret of her success.

What have you been up to? I have been doing what I have always loved to do ? singing. My European tour was great. I had to halt it to grace the grand finale of Cupid Games. I will be going back to different countries. Euro Tour started on February 13, 2015. I have performed in Lyon, Paris and I'm now touring other parts of Europe in Germany, Italy. I will be touring other cities and rounding off in March. Interestingly, my birthday is March 13, Friday. So, it'll be in the heat of my tour. I will celebrate it with my fans.

How are your fans responding to your songs over there? Great; they are gyrating to my Mr Johnny. The song is doing great and fans love it in Africa and in Europe,

How has the response been on your tours? I did my African tour last year and you can imagine the love and craze for Yemi Alade. It got to a point that a lady fainted. Nigerian music is massive in other countries. It has become a global brand. While performing in Paris, I got five "Johnnys" on stage; men who love my music. My brand, "Yemi Alade", is growing fast and I thank God for it. I'm elated that this is happening to me; I had hoped for this. I had my African tour in 2014 and my tour of Nigerian cities was in 2013.

Would you say Johnny brought you fame? Yeah! It is my time to be heard. Johnny was just the vehicle to re-announce me in the industry. A lot of hilarious comments have been made on account of the Johnny video; you know it was a star studded cast directed by Clarence Peters. What people don't know is that the Johnny song was leaked in Enugu and it took on a life of its own! It took just seven hours to shoot the video and it has become a success story. Also, my debut album, 'King of Queens' was released in last quarter of 2014 and it has sold over a thousand copies.

Tell us about your hot collabo, Marry Me with Falz.
Thank you! That song, just like Johnny, brought out the funny part of Yemi Alade. More videos are coming. My fans should watch out. The Taking Over Me video featuring Phyno, came out about a month ago, and in two weeks, it already had 200,000 views on Vevo YouTube channel. It was directed by Paul Gambit.

Your sexiness, swag and talent is drawing a lot of male fans, isn't it? (Laughs). I don't know about that, but I try to give my best and my all. I love what I'm doing now and my management is pushing me to give my best. Yes, I'm sexy; I have heard that before, but my talent speaks more for me. Yemi is a home girl and relates with all. I'm just like the girl next door.

How did the music start for you? I started singing when I was young. Dad used to play King Sunny Ade's music; mum was a fan of gospel tunes. My brothers used to play a lot of Usher and R Kelly songs, but I never wanted to do music. It was my mum who exposed me to it and made me take to it. I never planned to do music. I'm grateful to her now. You know that I won the Peak Talent Show in 2009 and I took off from there.

It was not an easy road to get to where I am now. I give God the glory. I still plan to read music someday and add to my knowledge. Now, I'm passionate about music. My management, headed by Taiwo Alli, has been working hard to push my music and my brand and it is yielding results now. We are doing better music now and shooting better videos. But the beginning was rough as expected. I did seven years of free shows going from one club to the other and selling myself.

Did you feel sad about not clinching the Next Rated Headies Award? Not at all! In fact, I felt proud being nominated, which is as good as winning the award. Since only one person had to win, I was just happy for the person, Patorankin. But it was like all of us nominees carried the plaque home because we all deserved it.

Your birthday is March 13; how are you celebrating it? (Grins) I will still be on tour. So I will be celebrating it with my fans abroad. I will be in Germany during the period entertaining my European fans? making new inroads. I may have a pajamas party. I dream of such a party with my friends and loved ones.

Do your fans go into a frenzy during your shows?
Yes! It happened during my African tour. Two ladies were so engrossed at my peak performance, they suddenly passed out and it was such a frenzy. Security and medical officials had to quickly wade in and revive them. It was humbling.

How is Nigerian Hip hop music doing on the global stage? Africa looks to Nigeria as the global market leader in music. I want to tell you that music and its potentials to empower people is bigger than what we think it is. The music industry in Nigeria is a mega industry and it can get better with more stakeholders investing in it and structures stabilising it. Oil is bringing in money, but music can bring in more money than oil.

What are the three things people don't know about Yemi Alade? Probably people don't know that my English name is Mercy. Eberechi which is my Igbo name means Mercy. Not many people know that my Instagram was hacked. I had to open a new one. It is now Officialyemialade. Then, the third thing people don't know about me is that I'm a good cook. Not all girls know how to cook o! It will shock you that in this 21st century, a lot of young ladies don't know how to cook. This is a known fact.

How spiritual is Yemi Alade? As spiritual as people will want me to be; I was brought up with the fear of God.

What word do you have for your fans? I can't stop thanking my fans. I encourage every person to believe in their dreams. The process might be slow but it always pays off. Don't give up! Also, for every Nigerian out there, let us believe in ourselves. It is darkest before dawn. Let's play down religion, we don't need it. One love, fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment